Sonos Brings High-Definition Sound to Streaming Radio at Home with Sonos Radio HD
Sonos Radio HD delivers an expanded catalogue of original radio stations from iconic artists and expert curators, kicking off with the world’s most beloved entertainer, Dolly Parton, all ad-free and in high-definition audio – the highest quality of any streaming radio service – only on Sonos.
SANTA BARBARA, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
Sonos (Nasdaq: SONO), the leading sound experience company, debuts Sonos Radio HD, a new ad-free, high-definition streaming tier of its popular streaming radio service, Sonos Radio. Sonos Radio HD will feature even more exclusive content directly in the Sonos app, now in lossless, CD-quality audio – the highest quality sound of any radio streaming service. Sonos’ avid radio fans can now listen to Sonos Radio HD to explore exclusive genre stations, sounds for sleep and relaxation, and more in-depth artist content. Sonos Radio HD streams ad-free with skips and repeats, available on Sonos’ S2 app in the US and UK starting today with additional countries to follow. Sonos owners can subscribe on sonos.com for $7.99/£7.99 per month after a free, one month trial.
To start things off, Sonos collaborated with the world’s most beloved entertainer Dolly Parton to introduce Songteller Radio, an original station that will continually evolve with Dolly’s hits, favorite artists, and special commentary on songs and moments throughout her career.
Great music and entertainment have become the backdrop to daily life at home. For Sonos customers, alongside a 40% year-over-year increase in listening hours on Sonos globally, radio continues to represent 50% of all listening time on the platform. Complementary to the choice of more than 100 streaming services available on Sonos speakers, Sonos Radio HD builds on the early success of Sonos Radio, now the fourth most listened to service on Sonos since its April 2020 launch.
“Sonos Radio is a result of our unwavering commitment to great sound experiences – thoughtfully curated music in incredible sound from the moment our customers set-up,” said Patrick Spence, Sonos CEO. “Sonos Radio HD means even more choice and better sound for Sonos customers. As we continue to innovate to make listening to your favorite audio content at home easier and more enjoyable, Sonos Radio shows the potential of the new experiences we can bring from our platform of hardware, software, and services.”
Go Beyond the Playlist with Sonos Radio HD in Incredible Sound on Sonos
With Sonos Radio HD, all Sonos Radio original stations on both tiers stream in high-definition, lossless CD-quality audio (16-bit/44.1 kHz FLAC). Listening in high-definition audio delivers even more detail to the thousands of songs hand-selected for Sonos Radio, all curated and programmed for listening at home on Sonos.
Staying true to radio’s roots, Sonos Radio HD serves up a refreshing, yet reliable mix of fan favorites, deep cuts, generational throwbacks, and never-before-heard tracks and interviews in stations made by renowned artists, expert curators, and DJs.
“I had so much fun getting to share little stories and tidbits from the songs that have made up my life and career,” notes Parton. “My new station brings to life some of my favorite music and stories, similar to those that readers will explore in my first lyric book, Songteller, as well as my new Christmas album, A Holly Dolly Christmas. Sharing stories with fans is very special to me—and hopefully new listeners will enjoy them too!”
Exclusive Stations Available Starting Today on Sonos Radio HD
- Sonos Radio HD artist-curated stations go more in-depth on the obsessions, inspirations, and nostalgic tracks plus interviews heard nowhere else. Sonos Radio HD will kick-off with Dolly Parton’s Songteller Radio, hosted and curated by Dolly. Hear more music and stories in Dolly’s first show on Sonos Radio, Songteller Special, available on the station and for listeners everywhere on Mixcloud. New Sonos Radio HD artist-curated stations will drop regularly, including five new stations in early 2021.
- Deeper exploration into genres and music scenes with the help of curators and expert DJs including Nashville Now and Americana Ramble by Nashville-based music critic and author Ann Powers and iconic jazz performances on Unforgettable or Distant Kingdom for global retro R&B and soul.
- Soundtracks for homedebutas music has become the backdrop for cooking, working, and relaxing. Sonos Radio HD will highlight the physical and mental benefits of audio with original stations promoting mindfulness, productivity, and relaxation including The Inner Now, Chill Beats, and Mellow Morning.
- Perfectly tuned sleep soundswith six sleep stations for any preference – white noise, pink noise, brown noise, rain, rainforest and piano – mastered by Sonos’ sound experience team and artist soundboard and tuned specifically for Sonos speakers for the most natural, calming sounds for a better night sleep. Fall asleep to the steady sound of rain without loops or interruptions, and set an alarm for a peaceful start to the day with Mellow Morning.
Explore New Stations Free on Sonos Radio, Now Available in Five New Countries
In addition to more than 60,000 broadcast radio stations powered by long-time partners, Sonos Radio is the gift that keeps on giving with new original content coming to its current free tier just in time for the holidays.
- Ring in the holidays with two new holiday stations and a special radio show from Dolly Parton, Holly Dolly Christmas Special, following the release of her chart-topping holiday record. Dolly’s show will debut in November and December on Holidaze, one of two new holiday stations playing the best holiday hits and the other, Holiday Concerto, featuring instrumental renditions of holiday classics. Holly Dolly Christmas Special will also be available on Dolly’s Songteller Radio in HD and on the Sonos Mixcloud Archive for listeners everywhere.
- Take a deeper look into regional genres including British Beats and Bars, UK Session Sounds, French Connection, The Netherlands’ Radio à Gogo, German Zeitgeist, and Hip-Hop Stammtisch to explore the music and cultural flavors of favorite genres hand-picked by local curators.
- Sonos’ signature ad-free station, Sonos Sound System, explores the artist’s musical inspiration on a weekly Radio Hour with upcoming collaborations from Beverly Glenn-Copeland, Erykah Badu, A$AP Ferg, and Laurie Anderson. Listeners everywhere can tune in to past Radio Hours on the Sonos Sound System Archive at mixcloud.com/sonos.
Sonos Radio is available globally, pre-loaded in the Sonos app with original content streaming in 16 countries around the world, and beginning today, availability in Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, Austria, and Belgium.
Sonos (Nasdaq: SONO) is one of the world’s leading sound experience brands. As the inventor of multi-room wireless home audio, Sonos innovation helps the world listen better by giving people access to the content they love and allowing them to control it however and wherever they choose. Known for delivering an unparalleled sound experience, thoughtful design aesthetic, simplicity of use, and an open platform, Sonos makes the breadth of audio content available to anyone. Sonos is headquartered in Santa Barbara, California. Learn more at www.sonos.com.
About Sonos Radio
Sonos Radio is the premiere radio experience, only on Sonos. Built for and inspired by Sonos customers, Sonos Radio represents the broadest selection of radio available around the world, bringing together more than 60,000 broadcast radio stations from long-time partners along with dozens of exclusive original stations from Sonos. Available free to all customers globally, Sonos Radio is an ad-supported streaming radio service that comes pre-loaded in the Sonos App, bringing all streaming radio into one place from the moment customers set-up. Sonos original content is available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, Ireland, Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, and Denmark.
Available first in the United States and United Kingdom, Sonos Radio HD offers an upgraded, ad-free Sonos Radio experience that delivers an expanded catalogue of exclusive original content in high-definition, lossless CD-quality audio (16-bit/44.1 kHz FLAC). Customers who upgrade to Sonos Radio HD will enjoy all original stations across both tiers in high-definition audio with skips, repeats, and with no ads, excluding global broadcast stations.
Rhapsody’s “Powered by Napster,” a complete music and audio platform service, is powering the catalog and licensing for Sonos’ original stations on Sonos Radio and Sonos Radio HD.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201112005386/en/
KEYWORDS: United States North America California
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Technology Entertainment Online Mobile Entertainment Events/Concerts Other Entertainment General Entertainment Internet Music